Screentime

Nintendo Plans New 'Super Mario' Movie With Legend Shigeru Miyamoto Producing

  • ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ was a smash hit last year
  • Companies are targeting a 2026 release for the second film
The Super Mario Bros. MovieSource: Universal Pictures
Lock
This article is for subscribers only.

Nintendo Co. and US animation studio Illumination are developing a second film based on the Super Mario Bros. video game characters, seeking to recreate the first movie’s surprise commercial success.

The new film will be produced by Illumination founder and Chief Executive Officer Chris Meledandri and Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, the game’s original creator, the companies said in a press release dated Sunday. The movie will be released on Apr. 3, 2026, they said.